Unveiling
The plaque was unveiled by Richard Bennett DL on 10 September 2022. It was erected by the house owner Diz Adelman during the 2022 celebrations which marked the bi-Centenary of the founding of Huntley and Palmers. A well-attended celebration event in nearby Christ Church was however somewhat muted as it was during the period of mourning for Queen Elizabeth II so the Mayor of Reading was not able to attend.
Other than Joseph Huntley Street, in ‘Huntley Wharf’, there is no other commemoration of him in Reading. In Huntley Wharf there is an Information Board about the history of the Huntley and Palmers site.
Joseph died while visiting his brother in Stoke on Trent. His grave in Penkhull in Stoke on Trent is in a Quaker Burial Ground. The related chapel was demolished many years ago. The grounds are maintained, the gravestone is able to be seen.
Background
The name “Huntley and Palmers Biscuits” is well known throughout world.
Yet it is now over 200 years since Joseph Huntley started a biscuit business in nearby London Street with his son Thomas. After Thomas died, in 1857, partner George Palmer changed the name to Huntley and Palmers and took the business forward. It became one of Reading’s most celebrated and famous biscuit companies, bringing world fame to the town.
Between 1837 and 1842 Joseph Huntley lived at 9 Whitley Crescent, now 21 Christchurch Road. After 1842 he lived in Crown Street. His two daughters were recorded as living in London St in 1835 and one, Hannah, is recorded in 1841 as living at Whitley Crescent.
The house owner believes that after Joseph retired from the business, in 1838, he made biscuits in the basement of the house and sold them to people who arrived at the basement window.
So how did it all start?
Joseph Huntley (1775-1849) was born into a Gloucestershire Quaker family. His father was a headmaster while his mother, Hannah, baked biscuits in the school oven and sold them outside the school gates where the coaches stopped.
He opened his bakery in 72 (now 121) London Street, Reading in 1822. His son, Thomas, having completed a two-year apprenticeship at a bakery in Uxbridge, made the biscuits. His 2 daughters served at the counter and Joseph stood at the door greeting famous customers such as the local author Mary Russell Mitford, who never forgot the exquisite taste of the Huntleys biscuits.
At this time, London Street was the main stagecoach route from London to Bristol, Bath, and the West Country. Soon Joseph was sending a delivery boy with baskets of biscuits to every stagecoach that stopped at the Crown Inn, at the corner of Crown St and London Street.
In 1829 Thomas became a partner in his father’s firm.
A turning point for the business came when Joseph retired in 1838 due to ill health, a year after moving to 9 Whitley Crescent. Thomas found he needed a partner to replace his father. His wife’s young cousin, George Palmer, showed interest in joining him as he had some training as a baker. Thomas took George on as a partner in 1841, George bought a half share for £550. In 1857, on Thomas’s death, the name was changed to Huntley and Palmers.